Breasts are the most important part of a female body. No doubt, breasts enhance the beauty of women and now-a-days they’re opting various plastic surgeries such as breast reconstruction, breast augmentation, breast implants etc to beautify or change the deformities of their breasts.
What is Breast Reconstruction?
Breast reconstruction is a type of plastic surgery that rebuilds your breast so that it looks as you need. It’s a very popular technique to add the nipple and areola (the darker area around your nipple). Sometimes women undergo breast removal or mastectomy due to cancer. Most women who have had a mastectomy can have breast reconstruction. If a part of the breast around the cancer is removed in such cases plastic surgery reshape the affected breast. Board certified plastic surgeons perform the breast reconstruction surgery.
Methods of Breast Reconstruction
There’re different methods of breast reconstruction. The most accepted methods are –
Tissue Expander Breast Implant:
Post mastectomy breast reconstruction with a tissue expander and implant involves a staged approach. A tissue expander is a temporary device that is placed on the chest wall deep to the pectoralis major muscle. This may be done immediately following the mastectomy, or as a delayed technique. The purpose of the expander is to create a soft pocket to contain the permanent implant. Tissue expanders are available in a variety of shaped and sizes.
Tissue from the other parts of your body such as the back, thigh, abdomen or buttocks is used in this procedure. This procedure may be performed by leaving the donor tissue connected to the original site to retain its blood or it may be cut off and new blood supply may be connected.
Post mastectomy breast reconstruction with a direct to implant or ‘one-step’ approach allows for a single-stage reconstruction of the breast mound in select patients. This approach is best suited for patients with good preservation of the breast skin after mastectomy. A permanent implant is inserted immediately following the mastectomy, forgoing the initial placement of a tissue expander and subsequent expansion process.
Benefits of Breast Reconstruction
- It gives women natural, attractive curves and provides symmetry to the breasts.
- It helps you feel more comfortable about how you look.
- It restores your lost confidence in your sexuality.
- It allows women to wear form-fitting clothes and bathing suits.
- It restores the appearance of nipple and also improves shape and size of breasts.
Limitations of Breast Reconstruction
- After reconstruction the breasts will not have the same sensation and feel as the breast it replaces.
- Visible incision lines will always be present on the breast, whether from reconstruction or mastectomy.
- Certain surgical procedures will leave incision lines at the donor site, commonly located in less exposed areas of body such as the back, abdomen, thighs or buttocks.
In Tijuana, our plastic surgery surgeon offers customized breast reconstruction plans. If you’re considering breast reconstruction, please get a full understanding of the procedure. This will help you prepare for your initial breast reconstruction consultation with our plastic surgeon and allow you to ask the questions so you can be comfortable with your decision.